Mitigation and Restoration
Who Can Provide Mitigation & Reconstruction?
When your home or business suffers water damage it’s important to start the mitigation process as soon as possible. The longer moisture sits in walls and flooring, the more damage the structure of your home will suffer. It’s important to call your nearest mitigation specialist as time is crucial.
In most cases, water damage leads to mold growth. Do you know why? Moist and humid surfaces are the perfect breeding ground for mold growth. Time is of the essence in every water loss.
When the mitigation process is complete you are left with a partially constructed home or business. No worries! SERVPRO can provide mitigation reconstruction. Once all moisture is eliminated from the structure and the non-salvageable walls and flooring are removed, reconstruction can begin.
Rather than having multiple contractors in your home or business, have SERVPRO come in and make it “Like it never even happened.”
What Causes Mold Growth?
What Mold Needs to Grow
Mold Growth Conditions :
- Darkness (mold can't grow under ultraviolet light)
- Warmth (mold can't grow in freezing temperatures)
- Moisture (eg water leaks, humidity)
- Enough time (most molds can begin to grow in 24-48 hours if the conditions are right)
Humidity Causes Mold
If you live where humidity in the air is naturally high, like near the coast or another large body of water, then mold growth in your home can also be a recurring problem.
When moisture inside your house evaporates into the air it increases the humidity indoors. If your home isn't well ventilated then the humidity will stay high for a long time.
HVAC systems can also create humidity problems while it artificially heats or cools the air.
Sometimes people use humidifiers in their homes. But there are molds that only need the humidity level to be higher than 55% to start growing. Be sure to keep the humidity below 55%.
High humidity feeds mold. High humidity can also causes puddles of water and damp materials in the home take longer to dry out. These wet surfaces can in turn create mold growth of their own.
Poor Ventilation Causes Mold
Poor ventilation can create pockets of stagnant moist air which mold thrives in. Steam and water evaporating into the air creates humidity inside which then needs to be circulated outdoors through windows to keep the moisture level balanced.
Poor ventilation also means wet surfaces dry out slowly. Ventilation is especially important in rooms such as the bathroom and the kitchen where there is a lot of steam.
Mold Growth in Basements
Basements often contain higher amounts of moisture or humidity than other rooms because they are usually not well ventilated. Basements are often colder which causes more condensation leading to damp and humid conditions
When water leaks in your home it will often end up running down to the basement. Not only is mold more likely to grow in basements, but because they are usually neglected mold growth may not be discovered until it is well set in.
If you have questions regarding mold please contact us at 303-576-6868.
The Storm of July 2018 in Des Moines, Iowa
Flooding In Des Moines, Iowa
Flooding in Des Moines, Iowa
SERVPRO traveled to Iowa, after it excessively rained, causing severe water damage to over 1,500 properties. Owner Nick and his dedicated Storm Team jumped on the opportunity to help the people of Des Moines. During a three week period the Storm Team provided restoration & mitigation services for over 40 properties.
The Des Moines Register Update
More than 1,500 properties were reportedly affected by the weekend weather that dumped up to 9 inches of rain on central Iowa — a number authorities expect to increase.
Through Wednesday night, 15 properties in Des Moines have been categorized as majorly damaged and 350 received minor damage, Cody Christensen, permit and development administrator for Des Moines, told the Register Thursday.
Many homes and businesses had moderate damage, and others still need to be inspected.
Update: 29 homes suffered major damage, 520 with minor impacts
About 500 homes have been inspected for damage in Des Moines, Mayor Frank Cownie said Thursday, with another 500 inspection requests still needed to be finished.
He predicted tough times ahead for some homeowners if the federal government did not “see this as a national-level disaster.”
In the Fourmile Creek area alone, more than 230 single-family homes, 10 commercial buildings and six apartment buildings were damaged by flooding, Cownie has said.
For more about the flooding in Des Moines please visit the link below.
Sponsoring Educational Institutions
We Support Educational Institutions!
The owners of a Colorado SERVPRO wholeheartedly support educational institutions, and are dedicated to preserving the integrity of every educational institute.
Who are Nick and Travis?
The brothers grew up in Cedar Falls, Iowa, graduating from the University of Iowa in 2011, Nick with a degree in accounting and Travis with a finance degree.
Nick worked in public accounting for 6 years until purchasing a Colorado SERVPRO franchise in 2016.
Shortly after Nick moved to Colorado, Travis closed their consumer finance business and joined his brother in Colorado.
Keeping in mind their educational background contributed to the success of SERVPRO. Nick and Travis wanted to show appreciation for education by sponsoring their hometown U of I Hawkeyes.
Concepts & Core Values
- The belief there is an educational foundation behind every successful business and establishment.
- Supporting all employees in the pursuit of furthering their education.
- Providing proper training and education for all employees.
- An investment in knowledge is an investment in individual growth as well as business growth.
A little more about our U of I Alumni:
While working in public accounting Nick became a board member of Tree Des Moines, which is a community non-profit organization supporting a healthy and sustainable urban tree canopy for a viable and livable Des Moines Metro Area. He worked with children; educating and helping them better understand the biology behind different tree species and how they benefit the environment.
After graduating college Travis wasted no time opening a consumer finance business, managing and operating Osprey Capital SD LLC for 6 years. However, he wanted to make a change in people's lives,co-owning a Colorado SERVPRO gave him the opportunity to help people whose homes have been damaged by storm, water, fire or mold.
Before and After
Fire and water cause enormous damage to countless homes every year. Beyond structural damage, they also impact contents causing contamination that can prove very difficult to restore.
Leave it to us!
We know all to well that many items are extremely difficult too clean, but that is why we are the professionals. SERVPRO has a specialty Wash System that can clean almost irreversible damage.
About the Esporta Wash System
The Esporta washing technology is capable of cleaning category 1, 2, and 3 water, heavy smoke, and soot damage.
You can count on Esporta to predictably clean and restore soft contents. Even the toughest soot, water damage and bio contamination is no match for Esporta. Our wash system consistently delivers 90% of soft contents back to “food grade” clean. Customers are wowed by what we can restore!
What is the Esporta capable of cleaning:
Soft contents that can be cleaned include:
- sleeping bags
- stuffed animals
- Sports Equipment
More About Contents Restoration
SERVPRO professionals specialize in restoring contents damaged by fire, water, or mold. Their expertise and “restore” versus “replace” mentality can help you save money while preserving precious keepsakes that can’t be replaced. They pretest your contents to determine what items can be restored back to their condition before the water damage. SERVPRO Professionals utilize several methods of cleaning your contents, including:
- Dry Cleaning - Used for cleaning light residues or to pre-clean prior to wet cleaning.
- Wet Cleaning - An effective cleaning method for removing moderate to heavy residues.
- Spray and Wipe -Effective for items that can’t withstand wet cleaning.
- Foam Cleaning - Used for upholstery fabrics that might shrink or bleed if wet cleaned.
- Abrasive Cleaning - Involves agitation of the surface being cleaned.
- Immersion Cleaning - Contents are dipped into a bath of the cleaning product.
As many as 50% of businesses may never recover following a disaster, according to the latest industry research. Of the businesses that survive, the overwhelming majority of them had a preparedness plan in place. Pre-planning can serve as an insurance policy aimed at peace of mind. By developing a SERVPRO® Emergency READY Profile for your business, you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business.
Preparation is a key component for making it through any size disaster, whether it’s a small water leak, a large fire or an area flood. The best time for planning for such events is not when the event happens, but well before it happens. No one ever plans on a disaster, but you can plan for it. Now is the time to ask yourself, “Are you ready for whatever could happen?” The SERVPRO® Emergency READY Profile is a start up approach that provides the critical information needed to begin mitigation and recovery services. It is designed to serve as a quick reference of important building and contact information. By working with SERVPRO’s Emergency READY Profile, your business will receive the benefit of over 40 years of experience in reducing the impact of any natural or man-made disaster. SERVPRO® is a leader in water and fire damage response and can help you quickly get your property back in working order
Homeowners, do you know the location of the gas/water shut offs?
Fire, Smoke, Flames and The After Math
Call SERVPRO, We Provide Quality Service!
What to Expect After a Fire
Fire and smoke damage is destructive and finding a restoration/mitigation company can be daunting. When it comes to fire and smoke damage restoration, SERVPRO professionals are trained and follow an extensive and thorough restoration process in order to get your home or business back to normal.
Each fire/smoke damage case is unique and is treated as such by SERVPRO professionals. SERVPRO professionals will compose a detailed plan to rid your property of smoke and soot damage. Smoke odor latches onto and penetrates the surfaces of walls, ceilings, clothes, upholstered furniture, books, electronics and more. It is crucial that all affected contents and surfaces are properly sanitized by professionals. Oftentimes it can be difficult to determine the source of the smoke odor. Experienced professionals know where to look for smoke and soot damage and how to best approach the restoration process.
If smoke damage is not taken care of by a professional, your property and its inhabitants may face greater damage. Smoke and soot can destroy the integrity of your home or business, damaging the ventilation system, air ducts, insulation, wall studs and even the framing/structure.
Different Smoke Odors
Cleaning smoke and soot damage yourself or using a basic cleaning service runs the risk of recurring smoke odor which can cause respiratory problems. Smoke odor can be harmful depending on what type of material was burned. Smoke that comes from wood framing causes a “campfire” smell which lets off acetic acid, benzene, carbon monoxide (CO), formaldehyde, formic acid, heavy metals, nitrogen-oxides (NO2), phenols, sulfur dioxide (SO2).
Cooking fire smoke is very difficult to remove and has a lingering smell of burnt animal fat/protein. Grease splatter from a cooking fire requires specific cleaning techniques that only a professional can provide.
When plastic is burned, it releases dangerous chemicals such as hydrochloric acid, sulfur dioxide, dioxins, furans and heavy metals, as well as particulates and are known to cause respiratory ailments which are potentially carcinogenic.
Fireplace wood fires also emits hazardous emissions, such as particulates, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), and other emissions that can be dangerous for health.
Who Are The Professionals?
SERVPRO provides 24/7 Emergency response. After the initial emergency call a crew of certified SERVPRO professionals will promptly respond to your fire damage and arrive onsite prepared to assess, plan and arrange resources to restore your home or business back to what it once was.
What Will SERVPRO Do?
Board Up and Security
Fires can destroy doors, walls and windows, leaving your property vulnerable to additional loss from weather or theft. SERVPRO professionals have the equipment and capabilities to provide board up for your home or business. Your home or business may need additional security. SERVPRO can also provide fencing or even security to oversee your property.
All damaged structural material is removed from the structure in order for the mitigation and restoration to take place. Demolition is a planned procedure, completed with the utmost care and strategy.
The local fire department will use fire retardants and water to extinguish the flames. SERVPRO will assess and examine the extent of damage to the structure, walls, ceilings, floors, ventilation/HVAC system and contents while composing a thorough plan for mitigation and restoration.
Clothes, upholstered furniture, books, electronics and more that are affected by smoke may be salvaged and sanitized. All affected items deemed salvageable are sanitized and deodorized using specialized solutions and equipment. Contents go through an extensive inventory process ensuring all items are accounted for and stored in a secure location.
Is Your Washing Machine Leaking?
Don't let your washing machine cause a leak in your home.
- Replace water supply hoses – Water supply hoses can become brittle and burst. Check them periodically and replace your old hoses with a new hose that consist of flexible plastic tubing encased in a stainless steel braided exterior. Purchase an auto-shut off hose protector that protects against catastrophic water damage by automatically shutting off. If excess water flow is sensed the water supply to the washing machine will turn off.
- Get a washer floor tray – Replace or repair your leaking washing machine right away to protect against future leaks, slide a water catching tray under your washing machine to catch drips and leaks. It’s an inexpensive way to prevent water damage to your floor from a leaking washing machine.
- Purchase a single-lever shut off valve – Turn the water off after each load of wash. Replace your dual faucets with a single-lever which control both hot and cold water simultaneously.
- Flood protection device – An automatic water leak detection device prevents flooding by immediately shutting off both the hot and cold water supply to the washing machine when sensors detect a water leak. These devices are quick and easy to install by homeowners and provide 24/7 protection against water damage caused by washing machine floods. Some flood protection devices sound an audible alarm.
- Automatic Washing Machine Water Shutoff Valve and Leak Sensor – The shut off valve protects against catastrophic water damage. It allows water to flow when it senses that the washing machine is turned on, and stops water from flowing if the machine is turned off. It also stops water from flowing if it senses excessive water flow or detects a leak.
Areas of a Home Commonly Affected by Fire Damage
The level of damage varies depending on where a fire originated. An enclosed space typically will not have as much smoke damage as a large, open room with multiple appliances and a lot of wiring in the walls. Additionally, certain parts of a room may experience more damage than others.
Hot air rises, the highest concentration of smoke residue is commonly found directly above where a fire started - usually on the ceiling above the point of origin. Nail heads in the ceiling (and walls) can also attract smoke particles, which appear as an outline of a ring around them.
When smoke particles are ionized - or have an electrical charge - they are attracted to certain surfaces. Smoke produced by burning plastic carries a stronger charge than smoke from wood, paper or cotton. This causes smoke residue to form in clusters that look like cobwebs in the corners of rooms where walls and ceilings meet.
Walls & Windows
Windows and exterior walls are normally cooler than the center of a room and because smoke travels to areas with a lower temperature, it's common to find smoke residue on outside walls and in spaces behind drapes and blinds, even more so than surrounding surfaces.
If you notice a lingering smoke smell in your home or business call SERVPRO at 303-576-6868
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.
Do You Have Bed Bugs?
Signs of a Bed Bug Infestation
- Adult Bedbugs are the shape and size of an apple seed.
- After feeding, bed bugs defecate brown stains on porous surfaces.
- Bed bug bites may appear as red welts on the skin.
- Bed bug can be found on mattresses, box springs, headboards, footboards, bed frames and other furniture near a bed.
- Bed bugs are easily transported into previously non-infested dwellings
- Bed Bugs can be found in hotels, gyms, offices, schools and stores.
- Bed Bugs travel on bags, clothes and in vehicles.
Where Bed Bugs Hide
When not feeding, bed bugs hide in a variety of places. Around the bed, they can be found near the piping, seams and tags of the mattress and box spring, and in cracks on the bed frame and headboard.
If a room is heavily infested, you may find bed bugs:
- In the seams of chairs and couches, between cushions, in the folds of curtains
- In drawer joints
- In electrical receptacles and appliances
- Under loose wall paper and wall hangings
- At the junction where the wall and the ceiling meet
- Even in the head of a screw
- Since bed bugs are only about the width of a credit card, they can squeeze into really small hiding spots. If a crack will hold a credit card, it could hide a bed bug
Keeping a clean and uncluttered house can save you time and money by drastically decreasing your chance of bed bug infestation.