Commercial Fire Prevention
Commercial Fires Prevention
During the five-year period of 2007-2011, NFPA estimates that U.S. fire departments responded to an average of 3,340 fires in office properties per year which include general business offices, banks, veterinary clinics, research offices, engineering facilities, mailing firms and post offices. $112 million in property damages were reported.
When Are Commercial Fires Likely to Occur?
The chance of a commercial fire occurring during operating hours is extremely high. One-third of commercial office fires occur between business hours. The more populated a business is, the higher the chance of a fire occurring. Businesses occupying these commercial properties should inform their staff of fire dangers and how to prevent one.
- Turn off Coffee Makers, toaster ovens and kitchen appliances
- Have a designated staff member ensure kitchen appliances are turned off at the end of the day
- Always plug major appliances, like refrigerators, stoves, washers and dryers, directly into a wall outlet
- Never use an extension cord with a major appliance — it can easily overheat and start a fire.
- Always plug small appliances directly into a wall outlet.
- Unplug small appliances when you are not using them.
- Don’t allow space heaters in an office setting.
- Keep lamps, light fixtures and light bulbs away from anything that can burn.
- Use light bulbs that match the recommended wattage on the lamp or fixture.
- Check electrical cords on appliances often. Replace cracked, damaged and loose electrical cords. Do not try to repair them
- Do not overload wall outlets.
- Insert plugs fully into sockets.
- Never force a three prong cord into a two-slot outlet.
- Replace worn, old or damaged extension cords right away.
- Use extension cords for temporary purposes only.
- Avoid putting cords where they can be damaged or pinched, like under a carpet or rug.
- Do not overload power strips.
- Use power strips that have internal overload protection.
Information provided by FEMA and the National Fire Protection Association.